2004-05-29

The Story of a Story -- unfinished...

Soon after I decided to venture for real into the 'friction fiction' genre, I came up with an idea for a short story that was so compelling I had to get it onto virtual paper as soon as possible. "A Fair Trade" is a historical fantasy that runs to well over 8,000 words. This is a length that seems particularly difficult to place. Most markets put a limit of 6,000 or less (some a lot less) for short-story submissions. That even applies to those markets that publish short stories, novelettes, novellas and novels. There's nearly always a gaping hole somewhere in the region of 6,000 to 15,000 words.

I was therefore pleased that "A Fair Trade" was accepted by the very first market I sent it to. That was EroticSF, but my satisfaction was short-lived, for EroticSF closed before the story was published.

Recently the story failed to make the cut at Dark Sins & Desires Unveiled, so I've sent it to Cecilia Tan at Circlet Press. I understand I may have a long wait.

All comments I've received so far on the story have been favourable, in that it's well written, but not suitable for a particular market (except one that's closed...).

Ms. Tan states in her guidelines that she expects stories to be simultaneously submitted elsewhere. This isn't something I normally do, as most markets don't like it. (And as an editor in another life, I found simsubbing unacceptable myself.) In this case however, I'll give it a month or two, then I hope to find another market that also allows simsubbing.

It's a good story. It should be read.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home